Monday, March 26, 2012

Leadership Clinicals at UVRMC - 24 Hours

I was able to spend two shifts at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center "shadowing" the house supervisors. I learned a lot about their role in the hospital. To blog about my experience I am going to address each course objective for NURS 4405 and how I met those in my clinical experience at UVRMC.

1 - Apply concepts and theories of leadership, management and power as a foundation for nursing organizations.
I was able to see the concepts and theories that we have discussed in class in play at the hospital. In my 24 hours spent at the hospital I was able to follow three different house supervisors. Each had their own way of leading and managing. I would not say one was better then another, but all had their own strengths. I believe personality plays a huge role in how we manage.

2 - Investigate leadership and management competencies essential to a successful organization.
Like I said, I was able to see how managers and leaders work together at UVRMC to make it a successful hospital. From the staff nurse level, to the charge nurse, up through administration, there are certain leadership and management skills needed to help accomplish the goal of providing safe care to the patient.

3 - Evaluate effectiveness of cost and quality of care with consideration of budgetary constraints.
I wasn't able to really observe the budget side of UVRMC, but in my budget interview that I posted about earlier, I was able to see how budgets and constraints work into running a business.

4 - Analyze policies and procedures used in management of a nursing unit for providing optimum care.
Through my two shifts at UVRMC, I was able to see the policies and procedures that UVRMC follows throughout the day. The house supervisors are required to round to check up on the different floors. Certain things require the house supervisor to respond to for example a hard IV, Code, etc.. I was able to witness a charge nurse meeting where scheduling was discussed and planned for the next day.

5 - Examine principles of risk management and assisting employees with special needs.
I was able to witness all three house supervisors interact with many of the employees. Some of those employees did have special needs, and the house supervisors responded and communicated appropriately with these employees. Risk management is a big issue with hospitals. Everything that the house supervisor role includes in some way relates back to risk management. Adequate staffing, assisting in IVs, attending Codes, etc... all are part of risk management.

6 - Explore leadership and management competencies which contribute to optimal organizational climate and culture.
This objective seems similar to Number 2: Investigate leadership and management competencies essential to a successful organization. I guess one of the ways that they differ is how it leads to optimal organizational climate and culture. Without the house supervisor, especially at night, there would not be anyone representing administration. It is important to have a chain of command to keep the hospital running smoothly and have any complaints, issues, etc... handled in an organized fashion.

7 - Develop individual nursing philosophy related to leadership and management.
I am still working on developing my own individual nursing philosophy regarding leadership and management. I was able to witness how three different house supervisors manage and lead and was able to learn a lot about different styles. Some things I would use and other things I would not use. It was a good way for me to witness leadership styles in action.

8 - Examine leadership and management principles in a variety of health care systems.
I was able to examine leadership and management principles on the unit level up through administration. It was exciting to see how important leaders are on each level.

No comments:

Post a Comment