Sunday, March 11, 2012

Precepting The Chance to Shape Nursing’s Future (1 Hour)

I decided to take another class on precepting. Like I said in a previous blog post about another precepting class, precepting is very relevant to me as I am about to being a preceptor experience for my new job. "Preceptors are role models for professionalism and best practices in the clinical setting, socializing nurses into the work group, educating and orienting." Preceptors are leaders for the new grad nurse as they make a transition from new grad to bedside nurse. In this course, the authors tried to emphasize that to be a good preceptor you must be a good leader. This course discussed techniques and tips for preceptors to use while precepting an new nurse. They ended with this quote, "Preceptors have an ability to take the newest nurses, “diamonds in the rough,” and go beyond teaching them the ropes to helping them discover their self-identity and confidence to deliver outstanding patient care. Preceptors, by their power and leadership, can create a caring environment in which nurses can grow and thrive, contributing to that next generation of professional excellence." I love that quote! I hope to be lucky enough to have a good preceptor in my upcoming experience and hopefully someday utilize my experience and leadership skills to act as a preceptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment